Last Updated on Sunday, 02 September 2012 14:23
DO NOT DRIVE THROUGH FLOWING WATER!!!
Every year, more deaths occur due to flooding than from any other severe weather related hazard.
People underestimate the force and power of water.
- Just 6 inches of fast-moving water can known over an adult.
- Two feet or water will carry most vehicles away (including SUV's and trucks).
FLOOD or FLASHFLOOD WATCH: Flooding may happen soon. Stay tuned to the radio or television news for more information.
FLOOD WARNING: A flood may be or will be happening very soon. Tell an adult if you hear about a flood warning.
FLASHFLOOD WARNING: A flash flood is happening. Get to high ground right away!
- Watch for flooding on bridges and low points in the road.
- Stay off bridges or roads under water.
- If you are in a vehicle that becomes washed away by water, get out and swim to higher ground if you can.
- If you're riding in a vehicle at night be especially careful. If you drive into deep water, get out of your vehicle. Climb to higher ground.
- In areas with frequent flash floods, keep a battery operated radio with you. Tune to a local station or stay tuned to a NOAA Weather Radio.